Preserve America Community:
Roaring Springs, Texas
Roaring Springs is a very small community (population 265), but it has a strong commitment to preserving its history and using its heritage assets. Named for nearby springs that were traditionally used as a campsite for the Comanche Indians, the community was platted in 1912 along the Quanah, Acme, and Pacific Railroad.
The historic railroad depot (1913) was purchased by the city when the railroad ceased operations through the community in the 1970s. In 2001, the city partnered with the Roaring Springs Community Volunteers and other nonprofit organizations to obtain approval for a $1.2 million Transportation Enhancements grant to restore the depot. It will be converted into a travel/tourist center, museum, and city hall office.
Roaring Springs is also promoting heritage tourism through participation in the Texas Highway 70 Association, which encourages visitation to communities along the Route 70 corridor. To accommodate travelers, Roaring Springs' historic hotel (1913) recently has been rehabilitated as a bed and breakfast establishment.
Among the annual events that bring people to Roaring Springs is the Motley-Dickens Counties Old Settlers Reunion, which has been held each year for 81 years.
For more information
Motley County Chamber of Commerce: www.motleycountychamber.org
Texas Highway 70 Association: www.texashwy70.com
Posted May 14, 2009