Preserve America Community:
Lawrenceburg (population 9,014) was incorporated in 1820 and became the county seat of newly formed Anderson County in 1827. The downtown suffered four disastrous fires during the 19th and early 20th centuries, but many historic buildings remain and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Downtown Commercial Historic District.
The present courthouse (1915) is the third on the site. As the county seat, the community has been a center for agriculture and commerce in the region. A notable local industry is distilling, and bourbon distilleries open to the public include the Spanish-mission-style Four Roses Bourbon Distillery, which dates from 1911.
In recent years, Lawrenceburg’s proximity to nearby cities such as Frankfort, Louisville, and Lexington has made it a focal point for new development. But, the community has also increased its focus on preserving and promoting its historic resources. In 2005, the City moved its offices into the historic Old Post Office Building (1910). The building had been left empty when the Postal Service relocated, and it was renovated for office space by a local investment group.The City’s purchase of the Old Post Office demonstrates its commitment to revitalizing the downtown, and the Lawrenceburg Preservation Council, the community’s Main Street Program organization, has been coordinating downtown revitalization efforts since 2003. Among the events designed to bring people downtown, the Council coordinated a Christmas celebration last year that included activities such as an educational scavenger hunt and an historic building picture coloring contest.
For more information
Anderson County Community Development Office: www.andersoncoc.orgAnderson County Chamber of Commerce Tourism Site: www.andersoncoc.org/burgoo.html
Posted April 22, 2009