Preserve America Community:
Denton (population 80,537) was founded in 1857 to become the seat of Denton County. Less than 40 miles north of Dallas and Fort Worth, it is the apex of the "Golden Triangle" between the three cities.
Since 1989, Denton has participated in the Main Street Program, which has been critical to the successful revitalization of the historic downtown commercial district. From 1996 to 2003, more than $18 million of public and private funds were reinvested in the area.
At the heart of the historic downtown is the Denton County Courthouse (1897), which is ranked one of the most beautiful courthouses in the State, and the adjoining courthouse square. Fully restored in 1987, the building continues to house county functions, as well as the Denton County Courthouse-on-the-Square Museum.
This and other heritage attractions have made heritage tourism Denton's number one marketing asset in the eyes of the Denton Convention and Visitor Bureau. The city reaches out to heritage tourists through the efforts of that organization, as well as through participation in the initiatives of the Texas Historical Commission's Texas Lakes Trail Region.
For more information
City of Denton: www.cityofdenton.com
Denton Convention and Visitor Bureau: www.discoverdenton.com
Main Street Denton: www.dentonmainstreet.org
Updated May 13, 2009