Preserve America Community:
Atlanta (population 5,745) is located 10 miles west of the Texas-Arkansas line and is the largest community in Cass County. It was established in 1872 with the building of the Texas and Pacific Railway and named for Atlanta, Georgia, former home of many early settlers of the area.
Acknowledging the importance of its railroad heritage, the city recently rehabilitated its historic depot. The building now houses a welcome center and a museum of local history, which includes a display honoring Atlanta native Bessie Coleman, the world's first African American aviator.
Rehabilitation of the depot has been a lynchpin project in revitalization of the community's commercial district, where the city has spent nearly $3 million on infrastructure improvements, including streetscape enhancements and burial of utility lines.
To promote heritage tourism, Atlanta participates in the initiatives of the Texas Historical Commission's Texas Forest Trail Region. It has also tapped the skills of its marketing students by engaging the Atlanta High School's Distributive Education Club of America in developing brochures, maps, and undertaking surveys of historic properties.
For more information
City of Atlanta: www.atlantatexas.org
Updated August 19, 2009