Preserve America Community:
Scott County, Virginia
Named after Gen. Winfield Scott, Scott County, Virginia, (population 23,403) was formed by an act of the general assembly in 1814. The rich virgin soil and abundant wild game of the area had attracted early explorers. Soon, families began to settle the area, despite the presence of hostile tribes.
Many forts were constructed in the area for protection. Fort Blackmore was constructed on the extreme frontier of Virginia and was used by hunters, explorers, adventurers, and home seekers for rest and refreshment. Daniel Boone commanded Fort Blackmore and others along the Clinch River in 1774 while the other militiamen were engaged in the Point Pleasant campaign of Dunmore’s War. The Blockhouse, built in 1775, was situated at the meeting point of the pioneer roads from Virginia and North Carolina.
Big Moccasin Gap is the most notable natural feature in the area, as much history evolved around it. Boone and his companions carved the Wilderness Road through it in 1775. Thousands of pioneers passed through the gap, most of the goods used by people living north of the Clinch River were hauled through the gap, and the main highways westward still pass through it today.
For more information
History of Scott County: www.rootsweb.com/~vascottScott County: www.scottcountyva.com
Posted March 19, 2009