Preserve America Community:
Lincolnton, North Carolina
Lincolnton, North Carolina (population 10,393), located in Lincoln County, was founded in 1785. It was named for Major General Benjamin Lincoln of Massachusetts, who had received the official British sword of surrender from Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown in 1781.
Lincolnton was the site of the Revolutionary War Battle at Ramsour’s Mill, an event that is re-enacted every year in conjunction with reunions of three Lincolnton families that date back to that time. Lincolnton was also the location of the 1813 Schenck-Warlick Mill, the first textile mill south of New England.
A self-guided tour of Lincolnton takes visitors past a number of historic buildings, including the 1842 St. Luke’s Church and its adjoining cemetery, the 1897 William A. Hoke House, the 1840 Caldwell-Cobb-Love-Wilson House, and the pre-Civil War Eureka Manufacturing Co. The Lincoln County Courthouse, completed in 1923, and Shadow Lawn, built in 1826, are among Lincolnton buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Recently, the Lincoln County Historical Association undertook the renovation and rededication of a 1938 mural, “Threshing Grain,” that adorns the walls of the city’s post office.
The Lincoln County Apple Festival takes place annually in Lincolnton, drawing visitors to the outdoor market, traditional and contemporary crafts, and demonstrations such as a cornmeal mill and milking station. In 2007, more than 50,000 people attended.
For more information
City of Lincolnton: www.ci.lincolnton.nc.us
Lincoln County Historical Association: www.lincolncountyhistory.com
Posted May 12, 2009